Sunday, March 1, 2009

Can Wikipedia be trusted?

Throughout my college education I have been told many times when doing research do not use Wikipedia. Because it can be changed, it should not be trusted. I have never used Wikipedia as a source for any type of research for school related assignments. The only time I use it is to just find out information about some things I google. From the articles I have read, it seems that people go in and change the things that relate to them. For example, the Church of Scientology changed some of their information, as well as the Catholic Church has changed their information. From the Wasted website article I learned that people can see who is editing Wikipedia. This article has some very interesting information. It says that someone from the Diebold company deleted information about the company. It also stated that Walmart changed the site saying they paid double minimum wage, when before it said they paid less.

I do not think anyone should completely trust information that they get from Wikipedia. If someone is doing research for something that is school related they should not use Wikipedia. My professors are right for informing other students and myself of this. I think that if someone is researching something that they are curious about they should look at reliable sources as well as wikipedia just to be sure of their findings. Some reliable sources may be actual articles by creditted sources such as newspapers and magazines. If a college student is researching information for school they should go to their libraries website and look at one of the databases the college pays for. I think its great that the college pays for these research databases for its students.
The USA libraries databases are extremely helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment